Saturday, August 22, 2015

No More Feeling Sorry for Myself

I came to my blogsite today with the intention of deleting the entry I wrote yesterday, but when I reread it I realized it was all true, just whiny. So I left it up.  Now you know what I am like on  my "Feel Sorry for Cindy" days.

My mom and I, many years ago, had an agreement that when something bad happened to either one of us, we would have a "Feel Sorry for ____" day.  Just one day, after that you had to put on your big girl panties and deal with it. It was tough after a broken heart, but it truly helped us.

So, after my Feel Sorry for Cindy day yesterday, today I face it all with a better viewpoint. All the same frustrations exist and the headache still exists, but today I will not let it defeat me. Today I will:

    Walk away from arguments.
    Ignore other people's reactions to my limitations.
    Avoid watching depressing or anxiety producing shows on television.
    Same with books, only reading light-hearted books and being very thankful I can still read!
    Go outside and enjoy the sunshine.
    Watch the birds at the feeders and the squirrels on the deck, laughing at their silly antics.
    When someone calls me on the phone, if they start being a Negative Nellie/Nelson, I will end the conversation.  As nicely as possible, of course.
    Try to stop dwelling on the things I cannot do, or that my husband prevents me from doing.
    Instead, find some easier tasks to do and feel good about myself for being able to do them.

    Above all, BE THANKFUL.
    Thankful for still being able to read and write. Both take longer, but I can still do them.
    Thankful that I have a husband who loves me, puts up with my mood swings and does most of the things I can no longer do. How many husbands do laundry? Mine does! I have never been able to get him to do much in the way of house cleaning, but I'm sure that once I can no longer do it, he will step up
    Thankful that I have found doctors who understand my situation, even if they are not extremely knowledgeable about FTD, they accept and support my decisions as to what we will treat and what we will not.
    Thankful for my online support group where they understand even when no one else does, yet, set me straight when I need it.
    Thankful for our beautiful daughter. Even though she lives 8-hours away, she calls me several times a week to keep up to date on what is going on with me and to keep me involved in her life. I will be try to not resent the fact that I do not get to see her more often because of my husband's refusal to drive there to visit.  Oops, slipping a little into feeling sorry for myself again.

Anyway, you certainly get the gist of what I am trying to say. When I need a pep talk, I will come back and read this again and again. I don't need to defeat myself with a negative outlook!


No comments: