Thursday, August 13, 2015

My Tirade got Published!

Today's blog is going to be a little different. In our local paper this past weekend, someone dared to write about, basically, those people who sponge off the government, the ones on Welfare, SSI, SSD and food stamps. It took a while for the steam to stop coming out of my ears, but once it did, I sat down and wrote a letter to the editor of our local newspaper, the Altoona Mirror, which was published in today's edition.  First, my letter:

SSD Comparison Wrong, Offensive

    "In last Saturday's Mirror, a letter writer lumped SSI and SSD into the same category as welfare and food stamps.
    For clarification, Social Security is labeled as an 'entitlement,' not because the recipients feel "entitled," but because we are entitled to Social Security because we paid into it for 40-50 years.
    I do not deny that there are many who abuse the system, which should be addressed by reform, not by the condemnation of all who receive Social Security.
    I was forced to apply for Social Security Disability benefits over five years ago. This would surprise most who know me because most of the time, I appear to be fine. What you cannot see is the degeneration of my brain by a disease called Fronto-Temporal Dementia (FTD).
    Fortunately, Social Security understands that FTD is as serious as Alzheimer's Disease, if not worse, and I was given immediate compassionate approval. All that said, I would give up all that I own in order to be able to give up my benefits, go back to work and be rid of this terminal disease.
   Even with my receiving Social Security Disability payments a few years before I would have been eligible for regular SS, the total benefits that my husband and I collect will never add up to the total amount that the two of us contributed, so it should never be called a handout.
   I am deeply offended that anyone would imply that I am leeching off the system by collecting Social Security Disability.
   Cindy Odell, Duncansville

I have written letters to the editor a few times over my 62 years. This is the first time one was published, in its entirety with no editing. I am guessing that means that the editors "got it." Those who have mentioned my letter to me, at least so far, appreciated the points I was trying to make and totally agreed.

What angers me the most, is that I, and I suspect many others dealing with FTD, tend to sometimes feel worthless when compared to the functioning people we used to be. I get so very frustrated that I cannot do the things I used to do. I get embarrassed (I know I shouldn't) when I have to admit to someone that I cannot do that anymore.  I certainly do not need uninformed people implying that I am lazy and taking advantage of the system.

Did I change the mind or attitude of the other letter writer? I doubt it very much. It is pretty difficult to change the narrow minds of ill-informed blowhards.

I must also say here that I am still thankful every day that I have not lost my ability to write. Well, at least type, my writing is illegible. Having spent a short while, years ago, writing for a different newspaper, it is reassuring to me that I can still put a thought together and arrange my thoughts well enough that the reader can understand what I am saying. Of course, I would probably be fired from that newspaper these days, they would not want me to spend a full work day composing something as little as this letter, but I don't care how much time it takes me to do it, just that I can!
   

No comments: